We offer a competitive salary and benefits package as well as the opportunity for career advancement from this position. This is the perfect opportunity to build a career at a well-established commercial interior systems construction company completing over 100 projects annually.
The Foreman is responsible for coordinating operations and overseeing workers in a fast-paced construction environment. As the point of reference for both workers and supervisors, this is a key role for meeting a project’s budget, schedule and quality standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health & Safety
- Ensure all site safety requirements are followed
- Ensure all workers have proper personal protective equipment (PPE) for the task and site
- Ensure COVID-19 pre-screening questionnaire is completed by all employees and visitors
- Complete weekly toolbox talks
- Complete pre-job safety inspection (PSI) as required (i.e. when hazards change, such as working on a new floor, working with a new piece of equipment, when site conditions change, etc.)
- Ensure all injuries are reported to the site supervisor, shared services lead, health and safety lead, operations manager and general manager as soon as possible, regardless of severity.
- Complete incident report immediately on F2B using your tablet and send to appropriate parties
- If worker requires medical attention, ensure they get it in a timely fashion
- Escort injured worker to doctor or hospital if necessary
- Remind worker to get proper documentation from doctor if required (i.e. Form 8, modified duties, functional abilities form, etc.)
- Keep in touch with injured worker to monitor progress and keep the office updated
- Comply with instruction from Safety First when requested
- Ensure the Maxan safety board/job box is equipped, set up and that the crew is aware of its location
- Ensure construction is carried out as per plans and specs
- Review completed work and ensure Maxan quality is maintained throughout the project
- Organize the workforce to complete the project is a cost-effective manner. Review the project schedule with site supervisor and work towards meeting this goal. If there is concern about meeting schedule, communicate concerns to GC & Maxan site supervision and the estimator, project management etc.
- Review labour targets with Maxan supervisor and estimator; work towards meeting these goals.
- Complete daily and weekly progress reports entirely. Include photos.
- Order adequate materials required to complete the project
- Have weekly progress targets, plan your week in advance and coordinate deliveries accordingly (i.e. minimize last minute, small deliveries)
- Ensure delivery requests are submitted to the procurement lead by the appropriate deadline
- Ensure Maxan’s work area is clean and tidy
- Ensure bins are sorted correctly and are not overflowing when sending back to the shop
- Ensure all scrap metal is sorted and sent back to the shop on a regular basis to avoid theft
- Communicate any project concerns with appropriate parties
- Keep track of small extras (3-4 hours, minimal material) and bury costs in larger extras if possible.
- Keep track of changes and extras and submit work orders in a timely manner
- Ensure work orders are signed by customer prior to submission to the office
- Attend weekly on-site construction meetings
- Foreman are expected to maximize output from the rest of the crew
- Foreman are expected to be on the tools alongside the workers where possible while still performing the above duties
- Effectively oversee multiple project sites, when required
- Ensure the hours of work and break guidelines are followed by all workers
- Published work hours and break schedule is a guideline. Individual foremen are empowered to make decisions based on their crews needs as long as minimum working hours are met (i.e. break and lunch times can be determined on a site-by-site basis)
- Keep site supervision aware of your individual sites break/lunch schedule
- Ensure master timesheet is completed and submitted weekly
- Ensure vacation requests for crew are submitted for approval at least 2 weeks prior to requested date
- Ensure parking and expense receipts (occasional coffee/lunch for super/PM or misc. materials (i.e. Home Depot) are submitted
- Always be on the lookout for new workers, identify candidates and advise site supervision
- Ensure apprentices are learning and being used efficiently.
- Understand that apprentices become journeymen who may become foremen. Update Maxan site supervision with progress, potential and any concerns
- Maintain a positive attitude when dealing with customers
- If agreement can’t be reached, defer to Maxan site supervision/project management.
- Have good working relationship with customers (site supervisor, project manager, etc.)
- Ensure customers feel that they are getting good value for their money (i.e. no $200 work orders)
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as a drywall and acoustics foreman
- In-depth knowledge of construction procedures, equipment and OHSA requirements
- Valid drivers license and vehicle
- Valid WHMIS, Working at Heights, Supervisor Health & Safety Awareness, First Aid certifications, etc.
- Valid lift tickets
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to communicate and report effectively
- Problem solving abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail, even under pressure
- Time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Good project administration and management skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications
- In-depth knowledge of new systems/materials and building codes/regulations an asset
- Ability to maintain strong relationships
- A dynamic team player with the ability to work with people at all levels in the organization